Check out our complete Guide to Summer Fun in Atlanta with Kids for more ideas and fun things to do this summer with kids in Atlanta.
No matter what the calendar say, summer is here for us. The weather is hot. The pool is open. The outdoor movies are on. What else is there to convince you that summer is here.
Summer time is probably the most fun time for kids and the most stressful time for parents as they scramble to find good summer camp or fun free/cheap things to do with kids this summer.
Top 10 Free or Cheap Things to Do this Summer in Atlanta with Kids
1. Watch Movies: Enjoy free outdoor movies from various location. Check out our comprehensive list of free outdoor movies around Atlanta. Also various local movie theaters typically have summer movie program. Kids can enjoy $1 movie each week. See our list of $1 Summer Kids Movies Series in Atlanta for detail and list of movies in your local theatres.
2. Listen to Outdoor Concerts: Have a fun evening at the outdoor concerts where kids will dance to the music and enjoy the summer beat from the entertainers around town. There are many free outdoor concert this summer in Atlanta.
3. Fun in the parks: Visit Piedmont Park for a fun day in the park. Kids will enjoy biking along the shade path or watching friendly dogs at the dog park. Check out your local city parks and recreations for fun and affordable programs for kids.
4. Cool down at Outdoor Water Fountains: There are several fun outdoor interactive water fountains around Atlanta for kids to cool down from the heat of summer. Check out the popular Centennial Olympic Park Rings of Fountain or the Big Splash at Suwanee Town Center Park.
5. Treasure Hunt with Geocache: All you need is a GPS and geocache eyes. Go online to find urban or park area cache and head out for a fun hunt with Geocache. Georgia State Park has a great program to motivate kids to collect stamp for unique collectible coins.
6. Tour at Mayfield Dairy: Only less than an hour from downtown Atlanta, Mayfield Dairy is a great day trip for the whole family. Plus who can say no to ice cream?
7. Splash in Water Parks: If you live in a swim and tennis community, you will probably have a spot with your name on the chair this summer. For the rest of us, there are several water parks around Atlanta that kids will enjoy.
8. Play at Indoor Soft Play Areas: Malls around town are a great way to escape the heat and enjoy a bit of window shopping. It’s good for the soul. Kids can also enjoy fun play time in these indoor soft play areas around Atlanta.
9. Bowl for Free: Selected AMF bowling centers roll out Kids Bowl Free for summer. Check out our list of Free Bowling for kids in Atlanta and see if your local bowling centers are participated. Even if they are not, bowling is a fun family-friendly activity that doesn’t cost the fortune. Plus it’s a great way to enjoy indoor fun during the hot day in Hotlanta.
10. Library and Story Times: Libraries and book stores have geared up for the summer reading fun. It’s a great way to spend a hot day indoor and instill the love of reading at the same time. Check out your local library for fun events they have planned all summer long. We have compiled the list of local bookstore story times in Atlanta area.